the general arrangement of the different parts of sth that is made, such as a building, book, machine, etc.
The basic design of the car is very similar to that of earlier models.
special new design features
The magazine will appear in a new design from next month.
the art or process of deciding how sth will look, work, etc. by drawing plans, making models, etc.
a course in art and design
a design studio
the design and development of new products
a drawing or plan from which sth may be made
designs for aircraft
new and original designs
an arrangement of lines and shapes as a decoration
花卉 / 抽象 / 几何图案
The tiles come in a huge range of colours and designs.
a plan or an intention
It happened─whether by accident or design ─that the two of them were left alone after all the others had gone.
It is all part of his grand design .
to want to start a sexual relationship with sb
to be planning to get sth for yourself, often in a way that other people do not approve of
Rumours spread that the Duke had designs on the crown (= wanted to make himself king) .
to decide how sth will look, work, etc., especially by drawing plans or making models
设计汽车 / 连衣裙 / 办公室
to design a car/a dress/an office
a badly designed kitchen
They asked me to design a poster for the campaign.
to think of and plan a system, a way of doing sth, etc.
We need to design a new syllabus for the third year.
for special purpose
to make, plan or intend sth for a particular purpose or use
The method is specifically designed for use in small groups.
The programme is designed to help people who have been out of work for a long time.
the act of working out the form of something (as by making a sketch or outline or plan)
- he contributed to the design of a new instrument
a decorative or artistic work
- the coach had a design on the doors
a preliminary sketch indicating the plan for something
- the design of a building
the creation of something in the mind
an arrangement scheme
- the awkward design of the keyboard made operation difficult
- it was an excellent design for living
- a plan for seating guests
something intended as a guide for making something else
- a blueprint for a house
- a pattern for a skirt
an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions
- his intent was to provide a new translation
- good intentions are not enough
- it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs
- he made no secret of his designs
intend or have as a purpose
- She designed to go far in the world of business
plan something for a specific role or purpose or effect
- This room is not designed for work
conceive or fashion in the mind;invent
- She designed a good excuse for not attending classes that day
make or work out a plan for;devise
- They contrived to murder their boss
- design a new sales strategy
- plan an attack
make a design of;plan out in systematic, often graphic form
- design a better mousetrap
- plan the new wing of the museum
create the design for;create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner
- Chanel designed the famous suit
- Dupont designs for the house of Chanel