the regular way in which sth happens or is done
changing patterns of behaviour
an irregular sleeping pattern
The murders all seem to follow a (similar) pattern (= happen in the same way) .
an excellent example to copy
This system sets the pattern for others to follow.
a regular arrangement of lines, shapes, colours, etc. as a design on material, carpets, etc.
a pattern of diamonds and squares
a shirt with a floral pattern
a design, set of instructions or shape to cut around that you use in order to make sth
a knitting pattern
She bought a dress pattern and some material.
a small piece of material, paper, etc. that helps you choose the design of sth
to form a regular arrangement of lines or shapes on sth
Frost patterned the window.
a landscape patterned by vineyards
to cause a particular type of behaviour to develop
Adult behaviour is often patterned by childhood experiences.
to use sth as a model for sth; to copy sth
a new approach patterned on Japanese ideas
a customary way of operation or behavior
- it is their practice to give annual raises
- they changed their dietary pattern
a decorative or artistic work
- the coach had a design on the doors
something regarded as a normative example
- the convention of not naming the main character
- violence is the rule not the exception
- his formula for impressing visitors
something intended as a guide for making something else
- a blueprint for a house
- a pattern for a skirt
a perceptual structure
- the composition presents problems for students of musical form
- a visual pattern must include not only objects but the spaces between them
a model considered worthy of imitation
- the American constitution has provided a pattern for many republics
graphical representation (in polar or Cartesian coordinates) of the spatial distribution of radiation from an antenna as a function of angle
近义词: radiation pattern,radiation diagram
the path that is prescribed for an airplane that is preparing to land at an airport
- the traffic patterns around O'Hare are very crowded
- they stayed in the pattern until the fog lifted
近义词: traffic pattern,approach pattern
plan or create according to a model or models
form a pattern
- These sentences pattern like the ones we studied before